Dill pickles are very popular in the United States. They are cold and sweet and crunchy. Almost every family opens the refrigerator and has several bottles of different flavors, that’s awesome to eat with sandwiches, burgers, BBQ, hot dogs, etc. Many people use them directly as snacks. Family packs sold in supermarkets are scary and too salty to swallow. Of course, for my taste, Americans eat very well. In restaurants, pickles are also a common side dish for burgers. The most popular flavors are dill pickles and bread and butter pickles.
Today our tutorial is about dill pickles.
The following volume can make 2 bottles with a volume of about 1 liter.
Unit of Measurement
Standard baking measuring cup, measuring spoon unit
1 cup = 240ml
1 tablespoon = 1 tablespoon = 15ml
1/2 tablespoon = 0.5 tablespoon = 7.5ml
1 tsp = 1 teaspoon = 5ml
1/2 tsp = 2.5ml
1/4 tsp = 1.25ml
|Cucumber||around 1kg, cut into strips|
|Dill or Cumin||A handful|
|Garlic||4 large cloves of garlic, sliced|
|Chili or Paprika||2 chilis or a pinch of paprika|
|Black pepper grains||about 10 grains|
|Mustard Seed||2 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||1/8 tsp|
|Celery seeds||1/8 tsp|
The Practice of American Dill Pickles
- After cutting the cucumber into slices, sprinkle some salt on the surface and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Put water and white vinegar in a small saucepan, cook until boiled, and turn off the heat.
According to your taste, you can continue to put salt in the water nor not.
- Sterilize the container with boiling water or microwave for a few minutes (make sure it can be turned in a microwave oven) or steam it, wipe it dry.
- Put the dill, garlic slices, peppers, and cucumbers in the empty bottle.
- Divide the remaining spices evenly into two bottles and sprinkle them on the cucumber.
- Pour the boiled water into the bottle of cucumber. (Note, pour some water first, then shake the bottle before continuing to pour water. Don’t pour too much water to prevent the bottle from bursting.)
Keep the cucumbers underwater. After cooling down, cover them.
a. You can put it directly in the refrigerator.
b. It can also be kept at room temperature for 2-3 days (refrigerate directly if it is too hot in summer), and then refrigerate.
1. If you remove the dill, it will be original taste.
2. You can use cumin instead of dill, the taste is nearly the same.
3. If there is no mustard seed and celery seed, it will be slightly different, but the impact will not be big.
4, If you ike the sweet and sour taste, add 30-50 g sugar when water is boiling.
5. The color of pickle is yellow-green, and yellow pigments are sold in supermarkets to achieve this color.
I hope you guys like this tutorial to have a try. : )